Sunday, August 23, 2009

CAKE POPS


I got this idea from Bakerella, a brilliant and beautiful blog about baking. They looked so adorable that I just had to try them out. I didn’t put them on a stick because I didn’t have time to order them but that gives me an ideal excuse to try this again! :)

You can make a cake from scratch but you can also buy a cake mix from the shop. It depends on how much time you have and if you feel like making a cake yourself. I see no shame in the cake mixes as they can still taste quite nice.


Ingredients for cake balls:

  • Cake mix or home made cake
  • Cream cheese frostingTo be able to create balls you need to add some cream cheese frosting.

Below you have a nice recipe from the Martha Stewart site.

Ingredients for frosting:

  • 113 grams cream cheese, room temperature
  • 50 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 225 grams icing sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Steps for frosting:

  • Please cream cheese and butter in a bowl and mix until creamy
  • With the mixer on low add the sugar, making sure that all is incorporated
  • Add vanilla and blend until frosting is fluffy (1 min.)

Steps:

  • You bake your cake as usual and let it cool off
  • You crumble it with your hands or a food processor
  • Roll mixture into little balls and lay on wax paper covered cookie sheet.
  • Cover with aluminium foil or plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for several hours or in the freezer for about 15 minutes.

Once the cake balls are chilled you can decorate them as you wish. For these ones I combined some melted with chocolate with red food colouring. For the top I coloured some white granulated sugar, I had never done that before but it doesn’t look too bad. I did cover the tops with a little bit of marmalade as it makes the sugar stick better. I just used the back of my spoon to cover the cake balls, it really doesn’t need to be much.

No comments: