Sunday, August 9, 2009

ALMOND MACAROONS


This is a lovely dessert to take to friends, it’s easy to make and presents nicely with the chocolate cover. In lots of recipes it is coconut and chocolate but I also like it in this version.

Ingredients for 20 cookies:
  • 2 egg whites
  • 225 grams milk chocolate
  • 225 grams white granulated sugar
  • 175 grams ground almonds

Steps:

  • Preheat the oven to 180°C
  • Whisk the egg whites until stiff
  • Add the sugar and ground almonds, carefully add them so you don’t over-whisk and loose the airy structure
  • Prepare a tray with parchment paper I always cover the paper with a drop of oil so the cookies slide off easily
  • bake it in the oven for 20 minutes
  • Allow them to cool and then cover with chocolate

This could get messy but I just melted some chocolate, poured it into a soup bowl and then dipped the cookies in whilst holding them with my fingers. As they rise a few centimeters I didn’t have problems to hold on to them without getting my fingers in the chocolate. I did put the cookie on its head so the chocolate side was facing upwards. That way it can dry and it won’t stick.

Keep them cool but don’t keep them in the fridge as it will influence the chocolate.

No comments: